Built after a drawing by Antwerp sculptor Jan Pieter van Baurscheit de Oude (1663-1728), the high altar, made out of marble and polychrome wood, dates back to 1705. Medallions attributed to Brussels sculptor Gilles-Lambert Godecharle (1750-1835) depicting Mary’s parents, Joachim and his wife Saint Anne, adorn the sides.
This baroque church was once located in a quarter of Brussels that had a guesthouse for pilgrims on the way to Santiago de Compostela. The church had been a stop-off on the route since 1625 due to its miraculous statue of Mary. The shortened nave ends in a round construction under a hexagonal dome and the emblem of Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine, who was governor of the Austrian Netherlands roughly between 1741 and 1780, features above the door. The 18th-century white marble holy-water fonts in the shape of angels’ heads by Flemish sculptor Gabriël Grupello (1644-1734) immediately strike the eye of visitors who enter the church.